Friday, October 18, 2019

Topic 1: Shooting an Event/Activity:

The activity that I shot was last Wednesday's Volleyball game against Clackamas. I was interested in this event due to my love and passion for sports. During the game the challenges I faced was the "yellow" lighting in the gym, the shots I wanted to get required me to either stand on a ladder or high up in the stands, and getting the hang of a new camera I had never worked with before.
Unexpectedly, my photo made it on the front page of the school paper! what! I went through my photos the night after the game, that weekend and again on the following Monday and thought I didn't get anything good.
With this assignment I knew I had to get many angles and not be afraid of moving around the court. I went in with a mindset of, just capture anything you think would be a great photo and it turns out my love for sports allowed me to see action plays before they happened, which resulted in some good photos.
If I had to shoot this assignment again, I would probably focus more on achieving those specific shots rather than just taking lots of pictures. I would have got more close up shots with the girls and the volleyball or more with the coach. I would also get more of the crowd and their reactions to the game.
Ultimately, I think my photos turned out great. It was my first time shooting action shots but with my background in sports I had a feeling of what should be captured and what shouldn't.


Topic 2: Self-Critique:






I think the best photo I have taken for the class would have to my medium shot (the front page of the paper this week). I feel this is my best photo because it was so unexpected. I remember shooting these photos and thinking I totally bombed the assignment because I was looking at the overall and not the action in the photo. I was impressed at what cropping away "dead space" can do for a photo.
(shown to the left)








The worst photo I have taken so far would have to be on my first Humans of LBCC with the VA Rep. It was my very first time taking a picture of someone who I did not know and to top it off, he was very awkward with the entire process so it made me just want to take a quick picture and get out of there. I think if I was more confident I would have been able to get some better angles and make him more comfortable with the process. (Shown below)


I think if I improve on my overall knowledge of the camera, I can take better photos using the correct settings. Right now I am just doing the bare minimum but if I take more pictures or obtain more camera knowledge i'm sure my photos will raise in quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo Story; Up Close and Personal with CPD

Lt. Goodwin- Corvallis Police Department I had the opportunity to follow Lt. Goodwin with the Corvallis Police Department. I really wanted...