Monday, December 2, 2019

Week 10 Forum: Favorite Assingment

Topic 1: Best Photojournalism:

My favorite photo is when I had the opportunity to attend a cross-country meet in Portland. I was able to be in all areas of the course but I really wanted to capture when the runners crossed the finish line. I knew that they would be exhausted and probably fall on the ground or walk really weird like their muscles were going to give out; I know that feeling all to well. But I remember seeing these two girls, teammates, crossing the finish line. One teammate waited for the other to cross and then helped her walk around to regain her energy.

I saw this and thought "I need to capture this raw moment" and so I just took the picture. I didn't realize it was going to turn out so great since this was my second time shooting a sporting event, but it came out better than I imagined. This picture is the perfect expression of how a runner should feel after they gave it their all on the course. With this photo I learned that even pictures that you think won't turn out so well, do and pictures that you think will be amazing, won't.

I learned that if you just take the picture and take multiples, you are bound to end up with something amazing.

Since the beginning of the term to now, I know that my skills have improved in at least the action shots. I think it improved because I actually enjoyed being at the events and really wanted to capture pictures that told the story without captions. I wanted to be able to look at the photo and think "wow! that is one cool picture!" and I think, with action shots, I did pretty good.

My approach to taking these photos was to just take a lot at one time (using the heck out of my shutter) and just hoping I got a great one in there somewhere verses when I would just take one or two and then not end up with the results I wanted.

I think I need to improve on portraits and humans of LBCC because to me, it is a bit awkward to just tell someone to pose or place them in a posing position and then take the photo. I like taking photos that are off guard and natural.
Examples: OSU basketball games, LBCC Volleyball games, the cross country meet, LBCC Women's basketball and the Vet Parade.


Topic 2: Your Goals

Goals:  Week 1 Forum 
Getting an A is definitely top priority because I sort of bombed last year so I need to get my GPA back up.
I want to get better with photo editing; I started a small business and I still like to vlog so pictures and editing skill sets are a must for me.
I want to get out of my shell (more) so I can get used to reporting and being comfortable with taking pictures.

1. Getting an A is still high priority for me so hopefully after completing my assignments, I can say that I definitely tried my hardest to maintain that goal. Being pregnant and going to school is not easy especially in the third trimester but I came to school and traveled to events even when I was uncomfortable, physically, and did the best I could, so I am hoping that was enough to get me an A.
2. I think with photo editing I learned more than I thought. Being apart of the paper really allowed me to ask questions to some of the photo editors and learn new tricks. I never used an apple computer before or photoshop/ bridge but in the class I learned how easy it was and now don't feel as discouraged with continuing my vlog or instagram photos because I can make them look professional.
3. I definitely think I got out of my shell more as the term went on. At the event I felt confident in my ability to be along side some of the best in the business, I pushed myself to attend press conferences because "why not?" and I figured the worst that could happen was they say "no" and you move on. I think I realized when I was doing my photo story, how comfortable I had become with my photography and journalism because I was not afraid to just ask questions or take pictures. It helped that the LT. worked with my husband and he has a good reputation, but I also needed to maintain that and be professional. I would have never emailed a LT. or anyone at the beginning of the term so to just go for it was something out of the norm for me and I am glad I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo Story; Up Close and Personal with CPD

Lt. Goodwin- Corvallis Police Department I had the opportunity to follow Lt. Goodwin with the Corvallis Police Department. I really wanted...